Symbol of the modern factory, it’s a huge presence in town: the Fiat Lingotto plant is the biggest work realised in Torino between two wars. The construction, reflects Taylor’s rules regarding the rational work organisation. It was committed to Giacomo Mattè-Trucco, Fiat project manager between 1916 and 1922. To compensate the vertical production cycle development, Mattè-Trucco thought to a big multilevel parallelepiped volume, with a reinforced concrete structure and a big racetrack for car tests made on the roof. Overboard, two ramps get to the roof top. Offices are detached comparison to the rest of the building.
In the Eighties, when there was not production anymore, Renzo Piano gave life to renovations splitting the building in offices, apartments, hotels. Thanks to an auditorium and a congress centre, now Lingotto is used for cultural expositions.
In 1922, Lingotto hosts for first time the “Salone dell’automobile”, since then, the Lingotto became base for important appointments as the “International book salon”, “The flavour salon”, “The wine salon”, Artissima, -modern and contemporary fair-, as a lot of other international manifestations.