The Town has probably Celtic origins, while many tombstones bear evidence of the Roman supremacy. The founding of the Monastery of Santa Maria in 1028 gave prominence to the Town in the whole region. The Spanish army ravaged the city in 1544, that completely restored its independence in the Napoleonic period.
The town centre has a typical Medieval structure, with old houses arranged along small roads, leading to the central Piazza Castello. The Arciconfraternita di Santa Croce and the Casa della Beata Caterina deserve a visit.