The Circolo dei lettori (reader’s club) was born in Torino in 2006 . It was conceived and directed by Antonella Parigi and it is presided by Luca Beatrice. With the support of the Department of Culture of the Piemonte Region and the contribution of Compagnia di San Paolo the club is the first Italian public space for readers and for individual and group reading. The ideal place to read and listen to others reading.
After the first 5 years of its activity and other 30.000 members, the club renew itself in its image to create a strong identity able to draw different audience and to operate in new territories, and also in the space in order to offer and even more pleasant reception with upgraded service. The great historic halls of the late seventeenth century Palazzo Graneri della Roccia are now revisited by "invasions" of modern taste, creating moments of playful contrast scattering objects characterized by a particular decorative design pattern, which is the leitmotif of the exhibition. It is a classic and at the same time surprising place for all those who share interest and passion for reading, designed as a place of wellness, exchange, relaxation: community and hospitality continue to be the keywords of the new reader’s club, who now turn page be more itself.
The Hall of Honor that the architect Baroncelli wanted to be similar to that of Diana of Venaria, is a jewel of Baroque architecture. Its plastic decoration was designed in 1781 by architect Dellala Beinasco and made by Giovan Battista Bernero. On the evening of September 7, 1706, the Duke Victor Amadeus II and his Court, Prince Eugene of Savoy and General Wilhelm von Daun, commander of the fortress of Turin, celebrated in these halls the victory of Piemonte over French troops. In January 1859 the Grand Ball was held for the engagement between the fifteen year old Princess Maria Clotilde of Savoy and Prince Jerome Bonaparte. Here were also represented numerous works of great musicians of the time and in 1889, Arturo Toscanini performed as cellist.