It is the most renowned gallery in the city of Turin and it represents one of its most elegant venues.
It was designed by Pietro Carrera in 1873 and it was opened on 30th December 1874 and its name comes from Banca Industriale Supalpina, which carried the burden of the construction.
The gallery, which is considered by many the Salon of Turin (on a par with the wider Galleria San Federico, it is located between Piazza Castello and Piazza Carlo Alberto. It is fifty meters long, fourteen meters wide and about eighteen meters tall. It has some decorations belonging to the Renaissance and some to the Baroque and it is run for its entire perimeter by a balcony.
The space of the gallery was occupied by the Ministry of Finance up to when the capital of the Reign was moved to Florence.
Inside the gallery there are now many businesses, among them the historical cafè Baratti & Milano, the restaurant Arcadia, a furniture shop, an art gallery, the antiquarian bookshop Gilibert and the cinema Nuovo Romano.
At the beginning of the 20th century in the basement of the latter, initially born in 1898 as Cafè Concerto Romano, some variety show were held.
Curiosity: during his stay in Torino the philosopher Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche used to live right up here