Palazzo Reale is the first and the most important among the Saubadian residences in Piedmont, the main scene of the politics of the Saubadian Reign for at least three centuries. It is located in the heart of the city, in the centre of piazza Castello, from where the main arterial roads of the historical centre radiate: via Po, via Roma, via Garibaldi and via Pietro Micca.
Palazzo Carignano was designed in the second half of the 7th century by Guarino Guarini. It is a historical building located in the centre of Torino and it is has always been considered one of the most valuable examples of the European Baroque. Together with Palazzo Reale and Palazzo Madama, is one of the most important historical buildings of the city.
They are behind Palazzo Reale and they end in corso san Maurizio. They can be reached from Piazza Castello, going through the entrance of Palazzo Reale. They were planned in 1697 by André Le Nôtre, “father” of the Park of Versailles.
Palazzo Madama is in the heart of Turin, right where it was supposed to be the Roman castrum (the geographical centre of the city) and it rises on what in the Ancient Rome was called Porta Decumana. At the beginning of the 1st century the city entrance was from the side of the Po river that, due to its strategic position, had to be carefully defended: after the fall of the Roman Empire, the Porta Decumana was transformed into a fortress to defend the city.
Palazzo dell'Accademia delle Scienze is an impressive building of the 17th century. Its façade stands out on the homonymous street, whereas one of its sides delimits the south-west side of piazza Carignano.
The construction based on a project of Guarino Guarini began in 1679 under the direction of Michelangelo Garove who terminated it in 1687 after having made a fari number of modifications to the original project.
The big squared piazza has always been the historical and political fulcrum of the city, for the many occurrences and for the urban widening that started from here, with the opening of the present via Roma, via Po and via Pietro Micca. Piazza Castello is the centre and the heart of the city of monuments, by which it is surrounded. It was designed in 1584 by Ascanio Vitozzi, it is encircled by arcades and it is the city developing point from the Turin of the Romans to the Renaissance Turin. In the centre it hosts Palazzo Madama.
Built between 1640 and 1650, on the ancient walls field, was initially named piazza Reale. It’s the most beautiful Torino’s square, made from a drawing by Carlo Castellamonte (1637), who wanted to exalt the citizen unitary space. The homogeneity square’s composition it’s not made to isolate an individual palace, but it’s thought to overwork a global vision of elegance, clarity and simplicity. That’s why is called “Il salotto di Torino”.
With 40000 m², (360 m² long, 111 m² large) is one of the biggest European squares.
Looking at the square from via Po, the visitor will have an enchanting city’s visual: Ponte della pietra which goes to la Grande Madre, Torino’s hills, Monte Cappuccini and, on the left, the Queen’s mansion.
It takes his name from the architect Alessandro Antonelli who was used to call his project “a vertical dream”. In 2000, inside the Mole Antonelliana born the Museo Nazionale del Cinema di Torino, one of the most important worldwide for the patrimonial richness and for the many scientific-divulgate activities.
Thanks to his important opera season, the Teatro Regio is a datum point for Italian theatre and a showcase open to European and international panorama.
The theatre born is dated at the beginning of XVIII century. In those times, Vittorio Amedeo II thought to a urban restyling and it was chose the architect Filippo Juvarra for projecting a new big theatre.
Porta Palatina is a Roman building which joined Torino to the region’s northern part.
The door was built in the first century, and is really well-preserved. It was used principally as a defensive door, even later the Roman epoch. In the Medieval period took a fortress function.
Porta Palazzo is related to Piazza della Repubblica and the surrounding area, but most of all is referred to the big open-air market and his lively neighborhood. It’s the biggest merchant area in Europe.
Between merchant stands, next to Piazza della Repubblica, the Duomo and Porta Palatina, you can satisfy all your desirers: shoes, clothes, households, food products from all Italian regions and specialties from all over the world.
The quarter goes from Porta Nuova railway station on via Po’s way. It’s known for his multicultural and multiethnic soul. As you can realise walking through this area, you can find a synagogue, a Waldesian temple, a mosque and four churches.
One of the main Torino’s streets, was built during the second urban enlargement in 1663. Via Po joins piazza Vittorio Veneto with piazza Castello, it has the typical city porches, where you can find shops and ancient palaces. Porches were made to consent a quiet and covered promenade to the king, who was able to go from Piazza Castello to piazza Vittorio.
Via Roma joins piazza Castello from the historical Porta Nuova railway station, includes piazza San Carlo and piazza CLN on the way and ends up in piazza Carlo Felice.
From its renovation, is one of the main shopping streets in Torino: elegant cafes, book shops, boutiques but also cheapest shops.
The dome, first Renaissance architecture in Torino, was built thanks to the bishop’s will Domenico Della Rovere in a three medieval churches area dedicated to Salvatore, San Giovanni Battista and Santa Maria.
The sidelong stairs at presbytery rear leads to the Sacred Sidon chapel; made between 1668 and 1694. This baroque masterpiece is now in restauration after the 1997 fire.
The Grande Madre di Dio church rise in the eastern edge of Vittorio Emanule bridge. Ferdinando Bonsignore projected it on the Roman Pantheon model. In 1814 the king Vittorio Emanuele I di Savoia came back to Torino after a victorious battle an he thought to make the temple, opened in 1831.
One of the most rationalistic Torino’s building. In the Agnelli’s pavilion, Pier Luigi Nervi projected an artistic use of reinforce concrete. In 1936 the building changes his initial arrangement, thanks to a project farmed out to Ettore Sottsass Sr who was chosen to build a base for a fashion pavilion in parco Valentino.
Opened in 1863, set in via Magenta 3. It hosts the 800th and 900th permanent collections. You can find a lot of artist from 800th, like Pellizza da Volpedo e Medardo Rosso, from the 1900: Morandi, De Pisis, Marx Ernst Paul Klee e Picabia and an Art Brut collection.
The museum is always careful to contemporary art production, several temporary expositions are dedicated to the new artists.
The biggest green area in town: parco San Valentino stands in a wonderful position, less then 1km from Porta Nuova railway station, facing the hill and running along the left bank of the river Po, between Umberto I and Isabella’s bridges.
Even before the work completion, the park started to be used as international expositions from 1829 and 1961.
The exposition starts from 1769 and uses several models distributed on three floors. On the low ground: “Automobile and 20th century”, on the first floor: “The man and the automobile”, in the last section: “Automobile and design”. The visitor can also enjoy the newspaper library, the library, the documentation centre and the photograph archive.
The queen mansion, it’s a 16th building made for the will of the cardinal Maurizio di Savoia. Born in a hill, it was one of Savoia’s residence in Piemonte. The plan is typical from the 17th century, with an Italian garden in the back amphitheatre. After the war and the Savoia’s exile, the villa lived almost 50 years decay but it was repaired from 1994. Now Villa Regina returned to his ancient glory, thanks to artistic and botanic restorations.
Despite the name, the hunting residence Stupinigi it’s a big and magnificent building in a baroque style. It’s a royal residence to all intents and purposes. Inside, the architect structure hosts the Museo di Arte e di Ammobiliamento where you can find a lot of Savoia’s furniture coming from all their homes.
During the 18th century, Vittorio Amedeo II asked the Virgin Maria to fight off the French-Spanish army to Piemonte, if this promise were maintened the Duke would have built a sanctuary in the Virgin memory.
Via Garibaldi connects piazza Castello with Piazza Statuto and it’s considered the main and the most ancient city street. It was named via Dora Grossa and with almost one kilometre of porch is the longest European pedestrian street.