During the 18th century, Vittorio Amedeo II asked the Virgin Maria to fight off the French-Spanish army to Piemonte, if this promise were maintened the Duke would have built a sanctuary in the Virgin memory. That’s how the Superga basilica was born. It was opened in 1731 in Superga hill and it dominated all the city. Filippo Juvarra designed the Basilica, and he looked after the cupola’s construction, joinable from a winding staircase. In a baroque mausoleum in the basement are preserved the Savoia’s remains. The visitor can access the Royal Apartment from King’s room and convent adjacent to the church. The Basilica offers a luxurious restaurant and several educational intineraries.