The dome, first Renaissance architecture in Torino, was built thanks to the bishop’s will Domenico Della Rovere in a three medieval churches area dedicated to Salvatore, San Giovanni Battista and Santa Maria. The project was committed to the Tuscan architect Meo del Caprina, realized between 1491 and 1498.
In the XVII century, the building was renewed with a Sacred Sidon addition, made by Guarino Guarini. This modification connects the Cathedral with Palazzo Reale. Sant’Andrea’s bell tower was made from a Juvarra’s project.
The white façade covering was an anomaly next to coeval brick walls. Three elegant external doors anticipates the internal plant with three gothic naves. The sidelong stairs at presbytery rear leads to the Sacred Sidon chapel; made between 1668 and 1694. This baroque masterpiece is now in restauration after the 1997 fire.