The Mole Antonelliana was originally conceived as synagogue in 1878, while it was still under construction, it was taken over by the city of Torino, to be raised to an Italian Unification monument. It takes his name from the architect Alessandro Antonelli who was used to call his project “a vertical dream”. He died before the Mole’s ending, who was concluded in 1889 by Antonelli’s son Costanzo. At those times with 167 meters height it was the tallest European monument made in masonry.
In 1961, for the Italian unification centenary was established a panoramic elevator, climbing the tower the visitor can join the “tempietto” (85,4 meters) and enjoy the 360° landscape, and especially the alpine amphitheatre.
From 2000, a luminous sculpture by Mario Merz was installed on the cupola: this project is called Il volo dei numeri (The numbers’ flight) and it represents the beginning of Fibonacci’s series. This installation had the intention to explain how natural phenomenon are completely accidental.
In the same year, inside the Mole Antonelliana born the Museo Nazionale del Cinema di Torino, one of the most important worldwide for the patrimonial richness and for the many scientific-divulgate activities. The Swiss set designer François Confino used his fantasy a lot to prepare the museum exposition arrangement. The museum rooms has many distinctive feature: the visitor is continuously stunned by unexpected sounds and images, exactly as it seems when we watch an interesting and absorbing movie.
Thanks to interactive component, the visitor become spectator first, then explorer, author, actor and his visit will be hardly forgettable