Despite the name, the hunting residence Stupinigi it’s a big and magnificent building in a baroque style. It’s a royal residence to all intents and purposes.
The king Vittorio Amedeo II ordered it in 1729 to the Sicilian architect Filippo Juvarra thinking about a party resort after hunting expeditions. Juvarra personally chose painters, upholsterer and cabinet-makers strictly supervising them. Two lateral wings were added in 1759.
It was opened in 1731 hosting ballets and concerts, becoming soon also one of the favourite Savoia’s summer residences, who started to come year until the beginning of 1900. When Napoleon had his Italian occupancy, he was used to spend holidays here.
The architecture is perfectly axial, with a central body in four branches which together made a double court, creating a wonderful interpenetration between indoor and outdoor. Francesco Ladatte made the external dome decorated with a bronze deer sculpture. Inside, the architect structure hosts the Museo di Arte e di Ammobiliamento where you can find a lot of Savoia’s furniture coming from all their homes.