Palazzo Carignano was designed in the second half of the 7th century by Guarino Guarini. It is a historical building located in the centre of Torino and it is has always been considered one of the most valuable examples of the European Baroque. Together with Palazzo Reale and Palazzo Madama, is one of the most important historical buildings of the city.
During the widening works carried out between 1864 and 1871 by Giuseppe Bollati based on the project of Gaetano Ferri, the back façade was built in an eclectic style, with white stone and pink filler enriched by sumptuous pilasters and towers.
This corresponded to the internal façade of the palace when it was the Sabaudian residence. It looks over the internal garden, today over piazza Carlo Alberto, the palace was connected through the walls to the front structure of the riding stables, today is home to the University National Library. In the homonymous square there is also Teatro Carignano.
The Palace, particularly linked to the history of the Italian Risorgimento, was initially destined to host the first Subalpine Parliament, the State Council and from 1848 the Chamber of Deputies of the Subalpine Parliament. Currently it hosts the National Museum of the Italian Risorgimento.
From April 2006 for three years, the museum was closed for an important restoration and rearrangement intervention. It opened back on 18th March 2011 for the 150th anniversary of the Unification of Italy.