Palazzo dell'Accademia delle Scienze is an impressive building of the 17th century. Its façade stands out on the homonymous street, whereas one of its sides delimits the south-west side of piazza Carignano.
The construction based on a project of Guarino Guarini began in 1679 under the direction of Michelangelo Garove who terminated it in 1687 after having made a fari number of modifications to the original project.
It was destined to host the Collegio dei Nobili (designed for the young offspring of the nobility of Piedmont) and in 1787, upon Vittorio Amedeo III di Savoia, King of Sardinia’s will, it became home to the Accademia delle Scienze.
Guarini thought to the structure of the building on a horse-shoe shaped plant with a central risalit flanked by two wings. According to his intentions, the palace should have developed on four levels, one of the underground. Due to a lack of funds, the construction of the wing looking over piazza Carignano was suspended to the first floor. In the 19th century a long balcony above the big entrance portal.
Currently the palace continues to be home to the Accademia delle Scienze in Turin and host the Museo Egizio (since 1824) and the Galleria Sabauda.
Museo Egizio is considered, for the value of the finds, the most important in the world after that in Cairo, nonetheless the most important in Italy and Europe followed by the one in Florence.